Beef Bourguignon recipe. This traditional French recipe for beef stewed in Burgundy is the perfect choice for a cold autumn day. Try our Beef Bourguignon today.
1.5kg/3lb5oz chuck steak, cut into pieces 5cm/2in
3 c. tablespoons olive oil
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped rough
2 bottles of red wine from Burgundy
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 head garlic, cut in half horizontally
4 bay leaves
50g/2oz unsalted butter
225g/8oz whole piece of smoked bacon or pancetta
450g/1lb shallots, peeled
2 c. of flour
375g/12oz mushrooms Paris
290ml / ½ pint fresh beef stock
5 c. tablespoons brandy
chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat 1 tablespoon tablespoons oil in large saucepan. Add the carrot, onion and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add wine, thyme, garlic and 2 bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool.
2. Place the beef in a large bowl and pour over the wine marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight. This is known as a marinade cook.
3. Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas2. Drain the beef from the marinade in a colander over a glass bowl. Reserve the marinade and reserve.
4. Heat 25g/1oz butter and 1 c. tablespoons oil in large skillet. Add bacon and cook until golden brown. Add the shallots and transfer to a large baking dish.
5. In Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan. Dry the beef cubes from the marinade mixture with paper towels. Add half of beef to skillet and cook until brown on all sides. Remove the beef and transfer to casserole with bacon, shallots and vegetables. Repeat with remaining beef and add to casserole.
6. Stir in 2-3 large spoonfuls of the mixture marinade to deglaze or remove any sediment in the pan. Pour into the casserole.
7. Stir in flour, mix remaining marinade and beef broth to the pot.
8. Bring to a boil, cover and place in oven for 3-3 hours or until beef is very tender.
9. Halfway through cooking, heat the remaining oil and butter in large skillet and cook the mushrooms until browned. Add brandy and cook for few minutes.
10. Add mushrooms to the pan, stir and return to oven cooking time remaining.
11. Serve with new potatoes, sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley and purple sprouting broccoli.